Those 10 days or Antha pathu Naatgal………




Well, it’s going to be a lengthy one unlike others and another in the pipeline too.

It was a surrealistic experience and bliss, especially as a born again bachelor in Chennai, the city I love. I mean the build up to the reunion party and the days spent looking forward to it. I would like to thank our friendly organisers and our dear old friends for making it a successful and a memorable one. On the flip side there were none, however, in future it would be better, if we have it over two days rather than one!!

Well, we planned the trip very impromptu (me and Chandru), during the Wales holidays around the New Year eve. And there we were few weeks later, cruising over the Alps, gulf, Arabian and Indian Peninsula, eventually landing in Chennai’s airport on Saturday night of 23rd Jan. I am glad and hope Chandru too, that we made the trip.

Well, coming to the crunch, I have been christened again.

The name is Balu Mahendra!

The infamous fellow, who had made memorable movies like “ Moodu Pani”,
“ Moondram Pirai”, “ Neengal Kettavai and so many other good ones. He had always made his signature appearance in public, with a CAP on his forehead. That’s how I presented myself in our recent batch meet in Jan 2010. Chandru did the same and has been named BM2, whilst I BM1!!! Possibly I would try a different one next year; may dye my hair and stud my ears!

My sister mistook Chandru for me in the airport and must have wondered how her brother grew so taller, rather than fatter!! You may find the similarity, when you look at our current photos. It is not that all great people think alike, but may look alike and that’s what I realised recently.

I am sure, must have had quite a lot of nick or vayithericahl names, whilst speeding along, during the college times. Kudiyan, Kadiyan, Thadiyan, Jollan, Kutti mannan may be amongst the few others, I guess. Nanbargale be honest!

Our recent meet was filled with so much fun and excitement and at times, I felt like I would need more than 24 hrs to catch up with all those good and bad things of past 24 years. Highly impossible, considering, what we all done, gone through, slogged , suffered, mentally, physically, emotionally, personally, socially amongst few other vices of human kind.

And the nick names too. There were too many to catch up. Aatiyampatti, Kondalampatti, Purkees, meesai, Aalavayan, Pallan, Iyer, LH, and few others. I have to shy away from few others because of their gender allegiance, which might sound out of proportion, if I use them now.

Well, Life is cherished and beautiful with most of us and that was what I felt during those days in Chennai. I am talking about the 10 days; I recently spent or stored and etched in my greying memories for future nostalgic coach trip!!

Well, the flight was not without any entertainment all along, but we managed to catch up with our sleep now and then and also by playing a game of Rummy in Dubai’s new terminal!! Few whiskies along the aisles too!

I also managed to see the night of arrival with few rounds of whiskies with Anna and brother in law, followed by a hefty dinner cooked by Amma, late into the night. Well that’s how my short and sweet holidays began.

Our new apartment in Perungudi can boast of a nice swimming pool and also a purpose built gym for the like minded and where I managed to spend the next few days in anticipation of the Party day on the subsequent Saturday in Mahabalipuram.(keen on maintaining my shape!)

I have to be honest. I have never had made or received so many calls on the cell phone, all my life in UK. I am not a phone person too. Friends called in or were called out to and from every nook and corner of the local Globe with and Stanley spiritual verbatim mixed with chennai slang, being exchanged freely and happily nearly after 16 years!!! I certainly enjoy those O’s, Pu’s, Thev’s and etc.

Plans were being etched for few pre gala bashes and I was ably supported by my cousin, who is apparently a king of bar life in Chennai.

Sunday to Wednesday was spent mainly with family, shopping, visiting friends, dinners, cinemas and for long as usual late night chats with Amma.

Suri (Suryaprakash) a Kalvi Thanthai (? Kalavi Thanthai)now in Gingee, called up nearly after 15 years, like what it used to be and the phone chats went beyond the time limits. I could visualise the excitement that was building up in all our friends’ voices. Spoke to Uma, ( prettier than before) nearly after 17 years, once again very emotional, catching up with the past 18 years, was honestly , very difficult to be done over the cell phones!!

Meanwhile, I also managed to keep in touch with Bala, Chandru, and Shakeel, for a dirty night out in Chennai on Friday pm. Contacted few families including Hari’s and Ramesh. Bala was usual, enjoying the twins and not so enjoying the D&V(Diahorrea) with them.

Thursday was spent travelling around Chennai with my cousin, who was driving his new Honda city like an Auto rickshaw in the city, I love and breathe. The evening hours were beer-ed down in Park Sheraton’s Bar over few pints and Prawn starters. The ambience was good and the bar girls were good too, worth every huge penny spent for few a pints. The game was not without my share of Delhi belly episodes!!

Friday morning picked up Chandru from his home and landed on Shakeel’s Chennai flat bit late in the evening. Lunch was gala and superb and sooner we were filled with everything and anything up to our nasopharynx.I certainly can’t forget the Mughal Biriyani and the Sweet gheer made by his household ladies.

The evening was too early for us and therefore we headed towards the Besant Nagar beach. Also visited the Broken Bridge, few kilomts into the beach, just behind the rear entrance of Adyar theosophical society. Shakeel as usual, went nostalgic with the Besant beach. The crispy evenings spent with our friends and also few birthday parties spent in those restaurants along the beach. We managed to spot our “ Boss” Dr Vidhayasagar’s house along one corner. Who could ever forget our Boss?

The one man army, who always as ever tried his best and also in the process was also successful in protecting the infant juniors of the college from the tirade of the awful seniors! Many times, even against us, when we and behaved like our seniors.

The beach and the sea looked wonderful with the almost perfect moon and its bright smooth, velvety, liquid crustal like light on the wave front. It was going to be my favourite full moon day, the next day. It was also the reunion day.

From a happy nostalgic stroll along the Besant beach our next stop was at the Bar of Park Hotel, for an evening fix.

What followed next and the subsequent two days are for the next blog!!!

PS: I certainly need write about our new Avatar VS Venkatesan, who was in a top form and a massive entertainer for those two days!!!

Comments

Werewolf said…
Suren, I wish I was there! Shakeel has promised me pictures of the re-union. Sesh
Werewolf said…
A burning question: Is "Chandru" Chandrasekar, the anesthetist from the UK (or) Chandramohan, the Indian 007? Ah, I forgot! Is he not called Chandrahassan these days? Sesh
SUREN-DOC said…
yep...Chandru from UK...nanba.

Cheers.

Suren

Popular posts from this blog

Way of life- Kaniyan Poongundranaar, Purananooru, Tamil

My Dearest..........

NAYAGAN- 25 years.........