It is my birth day tomorrow!!!!














March 19- 1977
22 Coral Merchant Street
Madras 600 001

930pm..........

I am so excited tonight and I can’t go to sleep.  I am thinking of Amma; waking me up early in the morning, and giving me a hot water bath.  She would then dry my hair with a piece of towel, when I also smell her sweaty fragrance.  Appa possibly would have woken up by this time and given me a big hug and wished me “Happy Birth day.”  Appa is an early morning bird and I would be surprised only, if he was not ready by six in the morning.  Appa starts at 6.30 in the morning, every day, except Sundays, to ride on his bicycle to Tiruvotriyoor and that’s where he works.  It is possibly a 10-15km trip from our home in Mannadi, according to Amma.

At 630 am, he might have already had his usual Dosais with “Poondu Milaka podi.”  The smell of fresh Garlic would kill my nostril, and me, longing for early morning Dosais.  Amma would always say no, as I would have not even brushed by teeth at that time.  Well, it’s my Birthday tomorrow and Amma might make an exception.

Appa would give me couple of Rupees and few chocolates for my birthday tomorrow and would be gone for the day. Well, Amma might be finished with my hair by that time and would have taken me to the Pooja room for some vibuthi and for a special prayer to my favourite God Pillayar.

Anna and Akka would have woken up and have wished me “Happy Birthday, Suresh”!  Well, that’s how I am called at home, whilst my other pet (!)  name being Suri.  Amma always applies eye shadow to my eyes, on my birth days.  I would always say no, but she would never listen. She would insist that black eye shadow was meant for special occasions and also to lower other’s “Thirusti.”

Well, that’s Amma’s perspective and I am still excited and unable to sleep, lying next to Amma.  I could hear Appa’s snoring and also my Uncle’s, from his room, upstairs.  Appa and his not so good, younger brother snore so heavily, vying to out do each other in the game.  Well we are always at the receiving end!

Amma would have prepared me for school after the bath and breakfast.  I don’t have to touch my books tomorrow.  No need to study on your birth day, you know.  She would have already bought a bag of sweets to be distributed in my class, at school.  Well, I am in year 3 at “Maangadu Ellappa Chetty School” in Linghi Chetty Street, George Town.  

My first language at school is Tamil and the second one is English.  Not surprising as Appa is against Hindi or Sanskrit totally at home or anywhere, as he is a staunch DMK man and a local big shot in politics!

Any way I would be back at home in the evening and be looking for few more gifts from my household, which would be usually sweets.  I am, sure; Amma would make some special item for me in the evening, possibly with lots of Ghee in it.  I love Butter and Ghee!!!

Well, I may even collect few more paise from Appa for a Masala Dosai treat from the local Udippi Bavan.  You know, I simply adore this Udippi hotel, just a few minutes away from our house.  I love the smell of Sambaar and Chutney and hot Dosais, wafting from the Hotel, throughout the day, disturbing our mood and our tummy.  The “Ragi Malt “drink from the hotel is an absolute stuff and you have to drink the malt to believe me.  It will be a special treat for me from Appa, I hope.  Or else, I may even get a packet of “Bombay Lukkadi” from the Pagoda shop; next doors, as a treat.  Amma knows that Bombay Lukkadi is my favourite snack.

I have been asking for a rubber ball for a long time.  I am not sure, whether Appa would get me a ball tomorrow or will I get a rollicking?  Any way I hate my birth day coming to an end after tomorrow.  I wish everyday is my birth day.

Well, I am yet wide and awake in the bed, next to Amma, excited!!
It is my Birth day tomorrow.


March 19- 1977
22 Coral Merchant Street
Madras 600 001




Comments

Unknown said…
Happy bday suren!
Long live the prince!
SUREN-DOC said…
Thanks nanba...

Popular posts from this blog

Way of life- Kaniyan Poongundranaar, Purananooru, Tamil

My Dearest..........

NAYAGAN- 25 years.........