September Musings!


























He may be formless albeit brings joy and confidence; he may augur good luck and girls and boys alike, like him. Hindus simply love him and others too, including the Chinese, especially here in Singapore. And I had seen him virtually everywhere in Bali. He is so cute; is so informal; ever so practical and friendly.

I am expecting a big lunch today and am sure would be followed with a siesta by the adults, whilst me trying my tender (!) fingers on the clay, given as a kosuru (tips) by the Pillayaar vendor. Mind you, I am way too young to try a scene out of “Ghost", which would not be shot until 1991. I would try different shapes and artifacts and leave them on a box as a safe hide out to dry them out; Amma as ever, would appreciate and encourage my creativity!

I would be joining either Appa or Amma to the, market to procure a beautiful clay Pillayaar for ourselves; albeit the size of him would depend upon on our affordability today and it may also be reflected on the colourful umbrella which would accompany him. Sadly we have never managed to procure a big Pillayaar nor a big umbrella to accompany him, for all I could remember! Well, he would also be thrown into a pond or sea after few days of festivities at home , due to various reasons and  none of them which has convinced me so far; however invariably would leave me upset over next few days.

I wake up very early on his birthday; the day would start with a visit to the local market abutting our Coral merchant street in North Madras; already be dressed up like a huge town market; wearing a festive look on its face; selling to a feverish crowd, varieties and various forms and makes of Pillayaars; selling everything from puffed rice to hitherto unknown vegetables; stall keepers yelling, trying to sell flowers and fruits of various hues and forms; cone loud speakers blaring with a deafening decibel all sorts of devotional songs along the nooks and corners of the small stretch of our arterial road; whilst me also glued to the wonderful art of making Pillayaars with or without a mold, out of clay, figuring out the options of getting free hold clay from the vendors to pursue my favourite past time later on today.

Women of our household would fast until the Aaarthi time around noon; however it would be not me. Appa would discreetly, at Amma’s displeasure, give me 50 paise first thing in the morning, which would be rightly spent on a yummy Masala Dosai with Sambaar & chutney from the next door Udippi Hotel. I would usually finish off the Dosai in Nano seconds before it could even leave the hapless pan; whilst the other hapless, sensible ladies of our household continue to fast until noon time.

Amma would soon start cooking a lot of padaiyals or offerings for Pillayaar; Kozhukattais of various varieties and stuffing’s, Sundal, Paruppu curry, Urulai curry, Sambhaar, Rasam, Vadai, Paayasam, Aubergine fry, Appalam etc…etc. The tradition I am happy to note still continues at most of the Indian households for centuries now; the past 22 years out of country hasn’t in the least diminished my love for him and the affection we have for this bubbly fellow.

I simply love and adore this cute, lovely big fellow, who gets me so confused and excited; am sure, does the same to most of you!!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Way of life- Kaniyan Poongundranaar, Purananooru, Tamil

My Dearest..........

NAYAGAN- 25 years.........