An Ode to you both...



























An ode to you both!

Both are very down to earth. They were very humble with no added extra effort but good intellect, perhaps to guide them. Both can talk effortlessly for hours together about most of the current affairs which continues even now. I befriended one in 1986 as he was a day scholar and the other in early 1987, both from the same class as mine.

I was jealous of both of them somewhere in the corner of my heart and mind. One of them, too
rich by any standards with a great educational back ground (mother, a doctor, father a criminal lawyer) and other one father was a doctor, an RMO in Nilgiris; and ever more annoying.

Nonetheless both knew their limitations; their measured and studious opinions on life and
people made them very reliable. You can talk virtually about anything to them both and in fact I learnt a lot during those days listening to them; sharing my modest background with them,
overcoming and neutralizing my inferiority complex. Whilst, one could boast impeccable English
as his forte the other with his penchant for sports and current affairs was brilliant in
remembering anything and also personalities from a-z.

Both were harmless; very helpful; pucca gentlemen; neat and disciplined; observant, central
and neutral; whilst one is more leaning toward left the other bit tentative now and then.

During those 5-6 years in Medical school, they both were frequenters to my abode in Coral Merchant Street, which was just 500 meters away from the college and the college hostel . Lots of unannounced visits to my Amma’s kitchen, during the late afternoons from college, continued to bolster the bond and also over many occasions including Deepavali and Pongal, cemented us, which continues till this day as an Epic.

I had spent few great summers at both at their abodes during my life at medical school and after, where I with a modest background always felt at ease and also made comfortable like a fish to the water. Mutual sharing became easy as time went on and my nostalgic brain brings me the vividly green memories of careless and free life of teenage and college years; late night chats and movies; coffee with samosas and cigarettes; trials and tribulations with alcohol;
vethilai paakku, rummy games etc.etc.

If one, a sleepy coastal town near Tanjavoor was an eye opener literally for me about life’s nuances, the other one Coonoor was an eye opener for me in an emotional sense. No wonder both them families became a part of my family and likewise in due
time.

There would also be times when I wouldn’t be talking to none of them both for months together, however could continue where I left with no qualms, after few months , with a signage of great friendship stamped and embedded on it for forever, effortlessly.

Happy 50th birthday to you both Nanbas !!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Way of life- Kaniyan Poongundranaar, Purananooru, Tamil

My Dearest..........

NAYAGAN- 25 years.........